Thursday, February 14, 2008

Waxing Roth

Thanks to Dave Lull for passing along a typically funny, acerbic, sometimes cryptic interview in Der Spiegel with Philip Roth, who turns 75 next month. He announces a new novel, Indignation, set for publication in October. Asked what he reads, Roth replies:

"The old masters. I reread Conrad and Turgenev and Hemingway and Faulkner -- which is great fun to do now. I rarely read contemporary fiction but I do read non-fiction."

And this on the American president:

"He was too horrendous to be forgotten. There will be an awful lot written about this. And there's a lot to be written about the war. There's a lot to be written about what he did with Reaganism, since he went much further than Reagan. So he won't be forgotten. Someone has said he's the worst American president we've ever had. I think that's true."

2 comments:

Frank Wilson said...

Interesting that Roth thinks Bush went much further than Reagan while many conservatives think Bush betrayed Reaganism. I am old enough to remember - and so is Roth - when the catchphrase of the day was "to err is Truman." My own candidate for worst president in my lifetime would be St. Jimmy - and I voted for him (once).

Anonymous said...

Worst prez: Jimmy (Imitatio Christi) Carter. Goes to show what may happen when your initials are JC.