On the morning of August 5, 1763, Dr. Johnson accompanied Boswell on the stage-coach that would carry him to the port of Harwich. Then twenty-two, Boswell would be taking the packet-boat to Utrecht in the Netherlands, where he would study law. The two men – Johnson was fifty-three – had met less than three months earlier. Johnson would never have children of his own but already he had developed a paternal devotion to his future biographer. He schooled Boswell the way he schools the rest of us:
“Next day we got to
Harwich, to dinner; and my passage in the packet-boat to Helvoetsluys being
secured, and my baggage put on board, we dined at our inn by ourselves. I
happened to say, it would be terrible if he should not find a speedy
opportunity of returning to London, and be confined in so dull a place.
Johnson. ‘Don’t, Sir, accustom yourself to use big words for little matters. It
would not be terrible, though I were to be detained some time
here.’ The practice of using words of disproportionate magnitude, is, no doubt,
too frequent every where . . .”
What follows may be my
favorite scene in all of Boswell’s Life. I’m touched every time I read
it. Boswell could be a whoring drunkard but here his reverence for Johnson overflows and his prose -- little words for big matters -- rises to the occasion:
“My revered friend walked
down with me to the beach, where we embraced and parted with tenderness, and
engaged to correspond by letters. I said, ‘I hope, Sir, you will not forget me
in my absence.’ Johnson. ‘Nay, Sir, it is more likely you should forget me,
than that I should forget you.’ As the vessel put out to sea, I kept my eyes
upon him for a considerable time, while he remained rolling his majestic frame
in his usual manner; and at last I perceived him walk back into the town, and
he disappeared.”
Boswell's "Life" - there's no other book like it.
ReplyDelete