Yet another unfamiliar word I would like to see revived: gasconade. Dr. Johnson gives a typically terse definition: “a boast; a bravado.” He cites the letter Jonathan Swift wrote to Alexander Pope in which I encountered the word this week: “Was it a gasconade to please me, that you said your fortune was increased to one hundred a year since I left you?”
Swift’s letter to Pope is
dated August 11, 1729. In it, he describes symptoms of a chronic inner-ear disorder
– likely, scholars have deduced, Ménière's disease – that plagued him from the age of
twenty. Swift suffered from vertigo, nausea, tinnitus and progressive deafness:
“[M]y head is never
perfectly free from giddiness, and especially toward night. Yet my disorder is
very moderate, and I have been without a fit of deafness this half year; so I
am like a horse, which, though off his mettle, can trot on tolerably; and this
comparison puts me in mind to add that I am returned to be a rider, wherein I
wish you would imitate me.”
Not too difficult to tell where that one came from.
ReplyDelete“You ought to be brave for two reasons: the first is that you are a Gascon, and the second is that you are my son.”