It’s a commonplace to say you can read a serious reader’s autobiography on his bookshelves. For some of us you can say the same of the libraries we’ve patronized across a lifetime. Last year I wrote about the first in that multi-state chain, when the public library in Parma Heights, Ohio, on the West Side of Cleveland, was slated for demolition. My brother and I were there in 1963 when the building was dedicated and now its replacement is open for business.
The old building was notably ugly, with its “Space Age” design, and the new one isn’t
much better. What do we expect of modern architecture? Still, I admit to
feeling a bit sentimental about the place where I first discovered Tom Disch, Franz
Kafka, Mark Twain and John Updike. I’ll get over it. It’s less for the titles I
read in the building than the feeling of sanctuary I always sensed there. It
was a serious place without the distractions and anxieties of home and school. I’m
reminded of Philip Larkin in “Church Going”: “A serious house on serious earth
it is.”
In
his 1994 collection The Color Wheel, Timothy Steele include two poems
about libraries. In the first, “Homage to a Carnegie Library,” he writes:
“Companionable
room,
In
that early darkness
You
stood in promise
Of
a sunnier time.”
“Companionable”
is precisely chosen. That’s how I have always thought of the important books in
my life: as companions, sometimes closer to me than many of their two-legged
counterparts. This is from “The Library”:
“Yet
books consoled me when I was a child,
And
seeing words and software joined and sync-ed,
Even
philosophers might be beguiled.
And
if I relish verses nimbly linked,
Here
flowing, there concluded with a twist,
It
was a Greek librarian-archivist
Who
had an odd pedantic inspiration
Make
prose and poems textually distinct
And first gave metric units lineation.”
'Books Consoled Me When I Was a Child'
ReplyDeleteIt’s a commonplace to say you can read a serious reader’s autobiography on his bookshelves. For some of us you can say the same of the libraries we’ve patronized across a lifetime. Last year I wrote about the first in that multi-state chain, when the public library in Parma Heights, Ohio, on the West Side of Cleveland, was slated for demolition. My brother and I were there in 1963 when the building was dedicated and now its replacement is open for business.
The old building was notably ugly, with its “Space Age” design, and the new one isn’t much better. What do we expect of modern architecture? Still, I admit to feeling a bit sentimental about the place where I first discovered Tom Disch, Franz Kafka, Mark Twain and John Updike. I’ll get over it. It’s less for the titles I read in the building than the feeling of sanctuary I always sensed there. It was a serious place without the distractions and anxieties of home and school. I’m reminded of Philip Larkin in “Church Going”: “A serious house on serious earth it is.”
In his 1994 collection The Color Wheel, Timothy Steele include two poems about libraries. In the first, “Homage to a Carnegie Library,” he writes:
“Companionable room,
In that early darkness
You stood in promise
Of a sunnier time.”
“Companionable” is precisely chosen. That’s how I have always thought of the important books in my life: as companions, sometimes closer to me than many of their two-legged counterparts. This is from “The Library”:
“Yet books consoled me when I was a child,
And seeing words and software joined and sync-ed,
Even philosophers might be beguiled.
And if I relish verses nimbly linked,
Here flowing, there concluded with a twist,
It was a Greek librarian-archivist
Who had an odd pedantic inspiration
Make prose and poems textually distinct
And first gave metric units lineation.
Books still console me today. I find solace in them.
ReplyDeleteWithin the last few years I have had dreams about the Parma library on Ridge Road, which I have not seen since the summer of 1968. I remember where the Young Adult books were shelved--I supposed that they were aimed at people the age of my younger teachers, and didn't bother to look--and I think I remember where the WW II History was shelved.
ReplyDelete