Wednesday, December 30, 2009

`Entertainment for God'

Thanks to Dave Lull for this link to a story about the great J.F. Powers, who is quoted as saying in an interview:

“There is a common quality in all art; in a sense that really good paintings, sculpture, music, writing have. I can't name it. It has something to do with God-given spirit, going beyond oneself. I think it's possible to write something, for me to write something, that even God might like. It's possible for me to hit a note, to get in a mood, to write something that is worthy even of God's attention. Not as a soul seeking salvation, but just as entertainment for God. This may be blasphemous to say, but I believe it. I don't think God is there and we're here, and there are no connections. I think there are connections, and I think art is certainly one.”

And thanks to Joe of New York City for alerting me to this lecture by Geoffrey Hill on the occasion of John Milton’s 400th birthday.

No comments: