“In time we bow / To the necessity and claim profound / Returns in memory.”
The spice cupboard was a disorganized mess. Looking for tarragon turned into an expedition. I wiped the shelf where seasonings had spilled and what did I smell? Cloves. Then it was 1961 and I was greeting my maternal grandmother at the front door. Her fur coat was cold. With the hug I reached for her purse of black patent leather and she let it slip from her shoulder. I opened it and inside was the usual pack of Cloves gum. I took a stick and gave another to my brother. Neither of us was ever much of a gum-chewer but the ritual had to be observed.
This memory of a memory
was inspired by Suzanne Doyle’s poem “My Grandmother’s Visit.” Like her, I was
fond of my grandmother, a rare gentle spirit in our family. Memory, of course, has
a dual nature. How happy I am to see her again so vividly, if briefly, but then
she’s gone. My grandmother shared birth and death years with Marianne Moore –
1887-1972 – and resembled her, an old-fashioned American beauty. Reading Moore
is another reliable memory-trigger, as in these lines from her poem “Rosemary”:
“The herb of memory,
imitating the blue robe of
Mary,
is not too legendary
“to flower both as symbol
and as pungency.”
Well done, indeed. Well done. Made me think of Proust and an entire town emerging from a cup of tea.
ReplyDelete