Regardless of her putative subject, Stevie Smith always seems to get around to death. That sounds like a prescription for adolescent morbidity, like a low-budget horror movie. There’s a theory going around, probably rooted in Freudian quackery, that all artistic creation is about death or its denial. Yet, somehow – often formally, with her nursery rhymes and rhythms – Smith charms and amuses us. Death is impertinent. “Up and Down” appeared in her first collection, A Good Time Was Had By All, published in 1937:
“Up and down the street
they go
Tapping tapping to and fro
What they see I do not
know
“Up and down the streets
they hurry
Push and rush and jerk and
worry
Full of ineffectual flurry
Up and down the street
they run
From morning to the set of
sun
I shall be glad when they
have done
I shall be glad when
there’s an end
Of all the noise that doth
offend
My soul. Still Night, don
cloak, descend.”
The pair of spondees in
the middle of the final line fall like clods of earth on a coffin lid. Smith’s work
is subversive, not of politics or morals but of literary expectations. A
diminutive woman, she knowingly donned a girlish costume (in life, in work)
that was eccentric in an acceptably British manner. How liberating that must
have been, setting her free to be a seriously silly poet. Pompey, the heroine
of the first and best of her three novels, Novel on Yellow Paper (1936),
recalls her understanding of suicide as a little girl. She urges parents to
discuss the subject with their children:
“So I think every
sensitive young child should early learn this. It is a great source of strength
and comfort. It is so possible that things may become more than we can bear, is
it not? That is not my thought at all. But rather, it is so possible that we may
be afraid that things will become more than we can bear. There is a very deadly
sort of slave feeling in this thought. For if we think this and become undone
by our fear, we may too anxiously placate our fellow-beings, who appear to us
to be in more authoritative positions and to have more of power than we over
the things that oppress us. But with death as our immediate ally, such thoughts
vanish.”
I’m not advocating suicide
and neither is Smith. I’m not sure it’s even possible to posthumously
diagnose Smith (dead at age sixty-eight in 1971) as a depressive. Rather, I
think she is forthright and brave and reminds me of the seventeenth-century
English prose writers – Sir Thomas Browne, in particular. To put it simply, she
understands death as a part of life, as least as important a part as having
children. I remember the deaths by suicide of two classmates when I was in
grade school. That early exposure to self-destruction has been useful. It never
frightened or depressed me.
No comments:
Post a Comment