Thursday, April 25, 2019

'Laughter Rejoices in Bonds'

“[T]here is to me something rather dreary in the notion of going anywhere for the specific purpose of being amused. I prefer that laughter shall take me unawares. Only so can it master and dissolve me.”

When we say that someone has a “good sense of humor,” it is useful to define our terms. Let’s rule out compulsive giggling and joke-telling, dirty words with nothing behind them and Bob Hope. Comedians have a tough job because we know in advance they want to make us laugh. Most of the funniest people I have known have not been perky. They tend to be introverted, grim-minded or depressed. A sense of humor is more than a social grace; it is a way of looking at the world. This complements the observation above from Max Beerbohm’s essay “Laughter” (And Even Now, 1920).

Since entering the hospital last Friday I have done a lot of laughing. You might suggest my laughter is pharmacologically enhanced, and I couldn’t argue, but I’ve always found pain and uncertainty excellent goads to comedy. Correspondingly, I’ve made a lot of other people laugh, including my neurosurgeon. When I’m hobbling to the bathroom with my walker, where my raised toilet seat awaits me, what else can I do but laugh and make the nurses laugh? Think of Yeats: “They know that Hamlet and Lear are gay; Gaiety transfiguring all that dread.” Self-pity can be amusing to observe, but indulging in it is never funny. Back to Beerbohm:

“To such laughter nothing is more propitious than an occasion that demands gravity. To have good reason for not laughing is one of the surest aids. Laughter rejoices in bonds.”

No comments: