Tuesday, October 01, 2019

'Among Other Things Fell into Talk of Musique'

There are, I assume, people who do not sing. That is, they have the pipes and know sufficient lyrics to emit at least one song but don’t do so, whether out of self-consciousness or diminished animal spirits. Singing seems as natural as sneezing. I don’t necessarily mean a performance for others. I mean in the shower or automobile. The latter is my conservatory of choice. In fact, if you can’t sing, don’t – around other people. The same applies to writing. Keep it to yourself if you’re not yet good at it. What you do at home in a notebook is your business but don’t inflict it on others.   

On Saturday while running errands I heard “La Pistola y El Corazón” by Los Lobos on the radio: “No se como decirte / No se como explicarte,” etc. I know little Spanish but sing the lyrics phonetically. I bought the album more than thirty years ago. David Hidalgo’s voice is higher and more soulful and poignant-sounding than mine, so I make adjustments. It’s a beautiful song, irresistible, regardless of your first language.

Samuel Pepys is not customarily associated with singing. He can be a dour, mulish fellow, but here’s what he writes in his diary on this date, Oct. 1, in 1661: “This morning my wife and I lay long in bed, and among other things fell into talk of musique, and desired that I would let her learn to sing, which I did consider, and promised her she should. So before I rose, word was brought me that my singing master, Mr. Goodgroome, was come to teach me and so she rose and this morning began to learn also.”

Pepys was not a sensitive or sentimental man, as we would understand it, but there’s something touching about this pillow talk and his willingness to let Elizabeth study singing. It makes for domestic harmony.

No comments: