Sunday, March 01, 2020

'Except As They Touch Upon Me'

“My private goings on are orderly as the movements of the spheres, and stale as their music to angels’ ears. Public affairs—except as they touch upon me, and so turn into private, I cannot whip up my mind to feel any interest in.”

Charles Lamb was among the wisest of foolish men. His priorities were admirably well ordered – his sister Mary, old books, good prose, roast pig, a pipe, something to drink and conversation. Not on the list is his thirty-three-year job as clerk with the East India Company. Like any sensible person, and unlike his friend Hazlitt, Lamb ignored politics. His indifference to the subject that preoccupies so many is a mark of his maturity. I once wrote a newspaper column suggesting passage of a law that would forbid anyone who wished to run for public office from doing so. Only those who don’t wish to run would be permitted, at least until they declared their intent. Politics tends to attract the most dubious characters among us.

This past week, two public-turned-private affairs have touched us in Houston. By telephone I interviewed a computer scientist who had recently returned from a trip to China. Her company had her quarantined in her Houston apartment and visited twice a day by a nurse who monitored her vitals. Understandably, she was going stir-crazy. A sizable number of the graduate students at my university are Chinese, and many wear masks – an obvious reminder of how small the world is growing. My middle son, a second-year midshipman at the U.S. Naval Academy, was scheduled to fly with friends to Rome for spring break. On Friday, the Navy called it off. Now he's coming home to Houston.

On Thursday, a 96-inch water main broke and flooded a nearby freeway. The city advised us not to drink tap water without first boiling it. They lifted the advisory on Saturday. For the first time in his life, our dog drank bottled water.

In that March 1, 1800 letter to his friend Thomas Manning, Lamb writes: “I cannot make these present times present to me. I read histories of the past, and I live in them; although, to abstract senses, they are far less momentous than the noises which keep Europe awake.”

No comments: