Sunday, December 13, 2020

'Bookworming His Way to Exact Knowledge'

When my middle son returned to the Naval Academy last summer, he left behind Borges’ The Last Interview and Other Conversations (Melville House, 2013). I found it in his room and read it a few evenings ago. Borges was a prodigious interviewee who regularly returns to a handful of themes, including this: “I think of myself primarily as a reader, then also a writer, but that’s more or less irrelevant. I think I’m a good reader . . .” This is fanciful but probably true. It sounds like Chesterton, who frequently toyed with paradox and was among Borges’ literary heroes. “When I think of my boyhood,” he continues, “I think in terms of the books I read.” His poem “A Reader” (trans. Norman Thomas di Giovanni) begins: “Let others boast of the pages they have written, / I take pride in those I have read.”

 

I remember when The New Yorker in September 1970, the start of my freshman year in college, published his “Autobiographical Notes.” I had been reading the available translations of Borges for several years and, like many American readers, grabbed anything by him I could find. The same was true for Nabokov. Both were polymathic exotics, never quite domesticated, and reliable pleasure-givers. Borges writes in “Autobiographical Notes”: “If I were asked to name the chief event in my life, I should say my father's library. In fact, sometimes I think I have never strayed outside that library.” In Speak, Memory, Nabokov celebrates his father’s well-stocked, multilingual  library in Russia: “My father's library . . . taught me to appreciate authentic poetry.”

 

The fashion-minded will label Borges and Nabokov “proto-postmodernists” or similar gibberish. My initial attraction to both was rooted in their bookishness. I loved, and still love, tracking allusions. But if that were their only attraction, I would have worn them out a long time ago. Borges writes in “A Reader”:

 

“A young man, sitting down to read, takes on

himself an exact discipline,

bookworming his way to exact knowledge.”

No comments: