Friday, July 16, 2021

'How Very Like a Red, Red Rose'

A classically minded friend refers to Thursday’s preparation for today’s procedure as “cleaning out the Augean stables.” I’m not sure even Hercules could chugalug a gallon of “Lemon-Lime Flavor PEG-3350, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Bicarbonate and Potassium Chloride for Oral Solution.” It’s ghastly stuff, even chilled. Straight, no chaser. Barbara Loots in “Colonoscopy: A Love Poem” (Windshift, Kelsay Books, 2018) finds something to celebrate in this most humbling of medical procedures: 

“My love is like a red, red rose.

I know because I’ve seen

the photographs inside of him

projected on a screen:

 

“the petal-like appearance of

his proximal transverse,

his mid-ascending colon

like a rose’s opening purse,

 

“appendiceal orifice,

a bud not yet unfurled —

Oh, what a pleasing garden is

my true love’s inner world!

 

“How very like a red, red rose

his clean and healthy gut.

I love my laddie all the more

since looking up his butt.”

No comments: