Sunday, July 17, 2022

'It Can Stand Rereading Because It Is Very Full'

A reader asks what books I have read most often. Just this week I read Leonard Gardner’s boxing novel Fat City and watched John Huston’s 1972 film version. It  remains the sole novel Gardner, now eighty-eight, has published. I first read it as a senior in high school, shortly after it was published in 1969, and again every decade or so since, even though I have no interest in boxing. 

In 2009, the late D.G. Myers and I haggled over a bibliography of the “Best American Fiction, 1968–1998.” It was David’s idea. One of the titles on my initial list of nominees was Fat City. There was much give and take. David objected to Gardner’s inclusion, so his novel was scratched. I remember taking exception to junk he suggested by Philip K. Dick and Gilbert Sorrentino, also removed. I still haven’t read seven of the books David included.

 

What else have I read many times? Gulliver’s Travels, Robinson Crusoe, Rasselas – all from the eighteenth century. Ulysses, Liebling’s Between Meals. Nonfiction and poetry are tougher to gauge. I’ve seldom read a collection of poems straight through, front to back. By its nature, poetry is revisited in small servings, not gorged on. I’ve read Guy Davenport’s The Geography of the Imagination countless times in the last forty-one years, but never sequentially.

 

Lately, a passage from Jacques Barzun’s Begin Here: The Forgotten Conditions of Teaching and Learning (1991) has been making the rounds. In his essay “The Word: Written, Printed, Spoken,” Barzun admits Americans read “tons of books,” but adds, “What they rarely read is real books.”

 

“How is ‘real book’ defined? Quite simply: it is a book one wants to reread. It can stand rereading because it is very full — of ideas and feelings, of scenes and persons real or imagined, of strange accidents and situations and judgments of behavior: it is a world in itself, like and unlike the world already in our head. For this reason, this fullness, it may well be ‘hard to get into’. But it somehow compels one to keep turning the page, and at the end the wish to reread is clear and strong: one senses that the work contains more than met the eye the first time around.”

 

If a book is lousy, we read it once, if that. If it’s harmless fluff, escapist fare, once suffices. A small, exclusive shelf of books remains. Those last a lifetime. Barzun continues:

 

“Now the point of reading books habitually is that it affords lasting pleasure, so the school should at least give every child a chance of contracting the habit. But it is not the adult citizen’s duty to read good books, even if Mark Twain did point out that ‘the man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.’”

4 comments:

Thomas Parker said...

Fat City is one of my favorite novels (along with Dick's Martian Time-Slip - sorry!), both to reread and evangelize with - I've bought several copies as gifts over the years. It should be a depressing book, depicting as it does dead-end lives in a bleak and cheerless setting. But Gardner's observation of place and character is so keen, his understanding and compassion for these people so deep, his dialogue so revealing and resonant, so quirky and unexpectedly funny, his grasp of his material so firm and assured, that the ultimate effect is exhilarating; it's one of the most purely enjoyable novels I know. I've always wondered why Gardner never wrote another novel. I hope it hasn't been writer's block. Maybe he knew that he had one story in him and that he had told it perfectly, and chose not to diminish his achievement with ever-weaker copies. I hope so, anyway.

I grew up in a boxing family - my father used to talk about the Marciano-Moore fight as if he were speaking about Achilles and Hector before the walls of Troy - but I think I would love Fat City even if I were revolted by the sweet science.

JJ Stickney said...

I also love Fat City, both the novel and the film.

Faze said...

When I retired and turned 70, I stopped re-reading entirely except for Wodehouse. There are simply too many great things out there that I haven't gotten to. Okay, I lied. I plan to re-read John Cheever's Journals. But after that ...

IronMike said...

I read Fat City for the first time a year or so ago. Loved it. Also not interested in boxing, but due to my name, people assume I am.

I could see myself re-reading it in a few years. Also, I'll watch the movie one of these days.