Tuesday, October 25, 2022

'Onomatopoeia Is a Fiction'

All of us subscribe to nonsense, especially when we’re young and it’s delivered by certified authorities. No one is sufficiently skeptical or sophisticated to be always immune to such blather. We’d like to think of maturing as a steady process of shedding such illusions, except that we have known too many old fools sitting alongside the young ones. 

In eighth grade our English teacher assured us that Shelley wrote the first line of “Ode to the West Wind” the way he did – “O wild West Wind, thou breath of Autumn’s being” – because all those initial w’s sounded like the titular breeze. We swallowed whole the self-evident reality of onomatopoeia. Jacques Barzun set me straight: “I do not believe a word of it. Onomatopoeia is a fiction.”

 

When his essay “Onoma-Onomato-Onomatwaddle” was published in the Autumn 1990 issue of The Kenyon Review, I hadn’t given much thought to onomatopoeia in years. It had always seemed more like a novelty than anything important or interesting about poetry and language in general. Often, as in Shelley’s case, it amounted to little more than gratuitous alliteration.

 

Barzun came to his conclusion when a Japanese friend told him the most beautiful word in English was cellardoor. “It was not beautiful to me and I wondered where its evocative power lay for the Japanese,” he writes. “Was it because they find l and r difficult to pronounce and the word thus acquires remoteness and enchantment?” Barzun learned his friend had never seen a cellardoor. He suspects “its charmless-ness to speakers of English lay simply in its meaning.” Barzun sensibly concludes: “The magic, color, music of the words said to be onomatopoetic in poetry is due primarily to their meaning.”  

 

Most of Barzun’s essay is devoted to French verse, but his argument remains the same. Because of its stronger, more numerous consonants, he speculates, the Germanic languages may have more opportunities to produce genuine onomatopoeias – “because the sounds of nature have an edge which the vowels that predominate in French cannot approximate.” He concludes: “But until further notice I shall believe that English can show only one true onomatopoeia, and that one not intended: it is the word adenoidal [OED: ‘having a monotonous and constricted nasal quality.’]”

 

Ten years ago on this date, October 24, 2012, Barzun died at age 104. He was among the sanest, most orderly minded of writers.

 

[Barzun’s article was excerpted from An Essay on French Verse: For Readers of English Poetry (1991) and collected in The Jacques Barzun Reader (2002).]

3 comments:

huisache said...

I fished a copy of Simple and Direct from a discard heap in maybe 1980. He cured a goodly amount of my tendency towards prolixity

A fine mind well educated

Harmon said...

“Bang! went the pistol
Crash! Went the window
Ouch! Went the son of a gun
Onomatopoeia

I don't want to see ya
Speaking in a foreign tongue.”

John Prine

Brian said...

Barzun a wonderful man. He saved me from the despair of teaching method when I discovered his book on teaching (I assume now, fifty years later it was Teacher in America, even if I am in Canada). This before internet, so it was the luck of second hand book bins that brought me to him. For my career that followed, it was his spirit and not the godawful nonsense of in-services (now flowered into the horrifying weed garden of wokeism).

I am a willing subject to the authority of Barzun, but I also adore Frost, and when he writes, in "Birches":

They click upon themselves
As the breeze rises, and turn many-colored
As the stir cracks and crazes their enamel.
Soon the sun’s warmth makes them shed crystal shells
Shattering and avalanching on the snow-crust—
Such heaps of broken glass to sweep away
You'd think the inner dome of heaven had fallen.

there does seem to be something going on that could be described as onomatopoeia. At least, I know I do hear the event described, whatever you want to call it.

More important to me, however, is this:

But I was going to say when Truth broke in
With all her matter-of-fact about the ice-storm

which I always took as a nod to Keats' Urn (o my, do I sound obvious?). Beauty is truth and vice versa. I cannot say adequately how much I love Larkin, yet he surely would find this a mockery. Except those high windows, those clasped gauntlets, those repeated churchgoings...