Thursday, March 28, 2024

'Not At All Reliable for Climbing On'

Decades ago I interviewed a guy who had climbed all forty-six of the high peaks in New York’s Adirondack Mountains in his bare feet. Surprisingly, he completed the shoeless stunt without serious injury. It was one of those Ripley’s-Believe-It-or-Not accomplishments that seems impressively ridiculous. I can’t remember his name but I remember two things about him: he was related to John Cheever and he was the first person I ever heard use the word scree in conversation.

 

The OED defines it as “a steep, often unstable slope on a mountainside formed by a mass of stone fragments and other debris” and “the material composing such a slope.” It’s an oddly incomplete-seeming word, two-thirds of scream, screech and screed. The Dictionary tells us it’s rooted in “early Scandinavian.” I think of scree as a hillside covered with loose stones, largely the product of gravity and always treacherous to traverse. Dick Davis uses the word in a poem titled “Words” (Love in Another Language, 2017):

 

“Words are like scree – abraded, hard, but not

At all reliable for climbing on;

Just look how far you’ve slipped back, trusting them.”

[A reader asks for the newspaper article I mention in the first paragraph. I'm sure I have a clip -- one of thousands in my files. I would love to organize that stuff. I'll see if my middle son can locate it electronically It dates from the early nineties.] 

[Addendum, 4/2/2024: My middle son, Michael, found the profile I wrote of the shoeless climber.]


3 comments:

Wurmbrand said...

Bibliographic info, please? I'd like to read that article if you can supply that information.

Thomas Parker said...

Vesuvius is almost all scree. It's more hazardous coming down than going up.

Jack said...

Scree is a common word used among climbers.