The stuff starts as white powder at the bottom of a one-gallon plastic jug. Add lukewarm water to the line, shake vigorously. Add a thoughtfully included “flavor packet” – lemon-lime, my favorite – to make it “palatable.” Chill. Drink eight ounces every fifteen minutes until the jug is empty. The label calls it “Gavilyte-G Solution 4000ML.” Catchy. Included on the list of possible side effects:
“Very bad headache. Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds. Black, tarry [!], or bloody stools. Bleeding from rectum or rectal pain. This drug may cause you to be dehydrated or have electrolyte problems. Rarely, this may be severe or deadly.”
And I volunteered for this. The label says, “No REFILLS.” Barbara Loots in “Colonoscopy: A Love
Poem” (Windshift, Kelsay Books, 2018) finds something to celebrate in
this most humbling of medical procedures. With apologies to Robert Burns:
“My love is like a red,
red rose.
I know because I’ve seen
the photographs inside of
him
projected on a screen:
“the petal-like appearance
of
his proximal transverse,
his mid-ascending colon
like a rose’s opening
purse,
“appendiceal orifice,
a bud not yet unfurled —
Oh, what a pleasing garden
is
my true love’s inner
world!
“How very like a red, red
rose
his clean and healthy gut.
I love my laddie all the
more
since looking up his butt.”
No comments:
Post a Comment