A reader expresses surprise at my admission that I once read William Gibson’s Neuromancer. “I thought you hated science fiction,” he writes. “You always seemed like a snob about it.” Guilty as charged, I guess. I read science fiction and related genres from roughly ages ten to fourteen. At some point I just lost interest. The arrival of puberty may have been an unrelated factor. A serious reader is forever culling aspects of his past, discarding previous favorites. Call it maturation or honing one’s critical gifts. The genre was no longer satisfying to read. I’ve never had a grand theoretical explanation for the change, though I retain a general lack of interest in any thesis-driven fiction -- 1984, for instance.
I don’t recall why I read
Gibson’s novel. I remember it getting a lot of attention when it was published
in 1984, even in non-sci-fi circles. Perhaps a friend recommended it. Neuromancer
is not the only novel I’ve read about which I remember nothing or almost
nothing. The same can be said of books by such non-genre writers as Conrad
Aiken, James Baldwin, Thomas Wolfe and others. In fiction I look for
an ineffable but recognizable quality called by William Maxwell, in a note to his
collection of reviews and essays The Outermost Dream (1989), “the breath
of life.” He writes:
“Reading is rapture (or if
it isn’t, I put the book down meaning to go on with it later, and escape out
the side door). A felicitously turned sentence can induce it. Or a description.
Or unexpected behavior. Or ordinary behavior raised to the nth degree. Or
intolerable suspense, as with the second half of Conrad’s Victory. Or
the forward movement of prose that is bent only on saying what the writer has
to say. Or dialogue that carries with it the unconscious flowering of
character. Or, sometimes, a fact.”
No binding theory there,
but I intuitively understand what Maxwell is getting at. In 1997, in the new
introduction to The Outermost Dream, reissued by Graywolf Press, Maxwell
writes: “[W]hen I read for my own enjoyment I cannot—or mostly do not—read
authors whose way of writing doesn’t give me pleasure. But of course style is
not in itself enough. One wants blowing through it at all times the breath, the
pure astonishment of life.”
It’s a quality difficult to articulate and simple to perceive. Henry James’ fiction has it, as does Tolstoy’s and George Eliot’s. They convince us. We forget them and ourselves while reading. Science fiction no longer does that for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment