Sunday, March 17, 2019

'Looking Into One's Heart and Plumbing It'

On Saturday I bought a copy of Unamuno’s Our Lord Don Quixote (trans. Anthony Kerrigan, 1967) because of the concluding sentence in Clive James’ essay on the Spaniard included in Cultural Amnesia (2007):

“The best writers contain within their souls all the characters they will ever create on the page; and those characters have always been there, throughout history; so the writer, no matter how modern he thinks he is, deals always and only in eternity.”

No doubt “soul” and “eternity” will trouble some readers, but I don’t think the crackpot notion of “collective unconscious” can be substituted for the first nor can “time immemorial” replace the second. I’ve read Don Quixote only once, and that was forty-seven years ago. I was bored but no longer trust all of my youthful reactions, positive or negative. After all, I even liked Steinbeck when very young. I keep a mental list of titles to read a second time because I can no longer depend on my first encounter. Cervantes tops it, and I bought the Unamuno volume hoping to rally my morale for reading a book Nabokov famously judged “cruel and crude.”

Unamuno criticizes the reputation of Don Quixote in Spain, where “erudition tends to mask the fetid sore of moral cowardice that has poisoned our collective soul [that word again].” He goes on:

“They pick out a book here and there, extracting sentences and doctrines which they put together and stew, or they spend a year or two or twenty rummaging around through files and stacks of papers in some archive or other so that they may announce this or that discovery. The object is to avoid looking into one’s heart and plumbing it, to avoid thinking and, even more, feeling.”

No comments: